Florida Department of Health in Manatee County
The number one public health threat to Florida's future is unhealthy weight. One in three kids in Florida are considered overweight or obese.
Healthiest Weight Florida is a public-private collaboration bringing together state agencies, not-for-profit organizations, businesses and entire communities to help Florida's children and adults make good choices about healthy eating and active living. DOH-Manatee's Community Health program supports the Healthiest Weight initiative.
Want to improve your health with small changes? Join the Small Steps to Living Healthy Program.
Finding success in healthy weight isn’t always easy, but it helps to take small steps. Small Steps to Living Healthy is an email-based program that allows Floridians to sign up for weekly tips and tricks delivered directly to their inbox.
Our Healthiest Weight Activities
DOH-Manatee supports the Healthiest Weight Initiative in several ways, including:
- Networking with community members, organizations, churches and groups to assess the community’s needs
- Creating a Community Health Improvement Plan including Healthiest Weight Strategies
- Promoting healthy lifestyles and behaviors at community events, meetings and health fairs through interactive activities
- Educating the public about eating healthy and exercising
- Collaborating with WIC to increase the number of babies and children at a healthy weight
- Working with schools to implement best pratices in physical activity, nutrition, and health education
- Participating in Healthiest Weight campaigns, such as Florida Health Cleans Up