Office of Vital Statistics
Certificates for the specified years must be requested from our state office in Jacksonville. Please visit their website at http://www.FloridaVitalStatisticsOnline.com Our office can still issue certificates for deaths that occur in the State of Florida from 2009 to present.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Need information on Apostilles (Exemplified Certificates)?
A death certificate for a person who died in Florida may be obtained by any person. Please note: The fee is $8.00 effective November 1st for each certified copy (with or without the cause of death included).
For deaths occurring in 2009 or later, death certificates are issued by this office.
For deaths occurring prior to 2009:
Due to COVID19, our offices are not accepting any cash payments, unless that’s the only form of payment available and exact change is provided
Debido a COVID19, nuestras oficinas no estan aceptando dinero en efectivo, a menos que este sea su unico tipo de pago y usted tenga el cambio exacto
Cause of Death
The cause of death is confidential and only available to certain people who demonstrate a relationship to the decedent (person who died).
The cause of death may be received by the decedent's:
- Sibling (if at least 18 years old)
- Any person with certain legal documentation, including:
- A will executed pursuant to Florida Statute s.732.502,
- An insurance policy or other document demonstrating his or her interest in the estate of the decedent
If requesting a certificate with cause of death, the applicant (person requesting the death certificate) must provide a copy (front and back) of a valid, state-issued photo ID and must indicate his/her relationship to the decedent. The ID must be intact, in one piece, not torn or in more than one piece.
Acceptable identification includes:
- State picture ID
- State driver’s license
- Valid passport (US or foreign)
- Military ID
- Permanent Resident Alien card ("Green Card")
- Mexican Matrícula or National Electoral Card
- The cause of death cannot be included when requesting copies for probate issues.
- The cause of death is not needed for real estate taxes, property claims, vehicles title transfer or closing out bank accounts
- Life insurance often requires the cause of death
- Death Application (English) (.pdf/65kb)
- Death Application (Spanish) (.pdf/216kb)
- Funeral Home Application (English) (.pdf/33Kb)
How's our Service