It's a New Day in Public Health.
The Florida Department of Health works to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county & community efforts.
Epidemiology and Disease Control
- 941-748-0747 Option 3
Epidemiology is the study of the patterns and distribution of health and illness in a population and the determination of the factors that influence population health. DOH-Manatee's office of Epidemiology represents the department’s coordinated effort to control communicable diseases and vaccine-preventable diseases.
- Develop and maintain public health surveillance systems
- Investigate reports of communicable diseases (enteric diseases, vaccine-preventable diseases, invasive bacterial diseases, and vector-borne diseases)
- Monitor and track outbreaks
- Analyze and distribute public health data
- Participate in emergency preparedness and response activities
- Conduct community education outreach
- Provide interventions for those at risk
- Conduct influenza surveillance and education
- Provide education and counseling for pregnant women with hepatitis B
Disease Outbreak Information Packet
Outbreaks of any disease, in any setting (such as a school, day care, or assisted living facility), are reportable upon suspicion to the Florida Department of Health in Manatee County per Florida Statute. An outbreak is defined as two or more cases of a similar illness among individuals with a common exposure. DOH–Manatee’s Outbreak Information Packet provides guidance on the most common types of outbreaks, and how best to address them in group settings. This resource includes:
- Information on gastrointestinal, respiratory, and rash illness outbreaks
- Control measures to stop the spread of an outbreak
- Guidance on specimen collection
- Line list templates to assist in monitoring the outbreak
For questions on outbreaks, or to report a suspected outbreak, please call DOH-Manatee Epidemiology at 941-748-0747 Option3.
DOH-Manatee Outbreak Information Packet
Reporting Cases of Communicable Diseases
To report a disease or condition in the List of Reportable Diseases/Conditions (see below), please contact us.
- Daytime phone reporting, please call 941-748-0747 Option 3.
- After-hours reporting: 941-748-0747
- Confidential Fax: 941-714-7164
Connect with DOH