HIV and AIDS Services
HIV Outreach and Prevention Program
- (941) 714-7592
410 Sixth Avenue East
Bradenton, FL. 34208
DOH-Manatee provides the following HIV/AIDS prevention, education, and case management services.
- FREE mobile unit screenings
- HIV, syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, and hepatitis panel
- Testing is also available at the health department clinic
- Fees are based on your ability to pay as determined by our Eligibility office
- Calendar of daily outreach activities
- Courses for adolescents and adults
- Pre-registration required for all adult classes
- Courses to become a certified HIV counselor
- Limited case management
- Linkage to care for those infected with HIV
- One-on-one education
What is HIV?
HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) is the virus that causes AIDS. When the virus enters the body, it infects certain parts of the immune system, weakening the body’s defenses. HIV lives in four main body fluids: blood, semen, vaginal fluid, and breast milk. Any unprotected exposure to these fluids puts you at risk of getting HIV. Though many treatments exist for HIV infection, still no cure has been developed.
HIV fast facts
- More than 1.1 million people in the United States are living with HIV infection, and almost 1 in 6 (15.8%) are unaware of their infection.
- Florida has one of the highest rates of new HIV infections in the country.
- Certain groups are at a higher risk for contracting HIV, including men who have sex with men (MSM) and African Americans. However, HIV doesn't discriminate.
- The only way to know if you have HIV is to get tested.